Sunday, July 8, 2012

Mind Over Matter

I was a little nervous about signing up for two triathlons in a single summer (I've only ever trained for one in a summer, since they're a little pricey and since I like the process of training as much as the race itself), but I'm feeling pretty good about my training.  Confident.  Strong.  Like I'm going to kick these races asses.  Yes.  Triathlons have asses. Asses that will be kicked by me!

On Friday, I swam a 2000m workout in about 45 minutes; then I rode 9 miles on the stationary bike and ran 2.75 miles on the treadmill.  Saturdays are my rest days in July, but today I biked 11.5 miles in 45 minutes (outdoors) and ran for 25 minutes immediately following that before heading out to my progressive, kick ass church to sing in the choir.  La la LA LALALALA! 

The bike portions of my two races are 10 and 12 miles, so I'm not adding any more to my bike distance (except on the stationary bike on Fridays), but I will add to my runs until I get to 30 minutes (the approximate time I think it will take me to run the 5K).

In my training for previous races, I never bothered to run as much as I'm running now (4x/week).  And running is the weakest part of the race for me.  I'm feeling good, feeling healthy, feeling pretty confident.  My current workout plan looks like this:

Sunday:  long bike-long run (outdoors)

Monday:  recovery swim (2500-3000m)

Tuesday:  CrossFit, including 2.25 mile run

Wednesday:  recovery swim (2500-3000m)

Thursday:  CrossFit, including 2.25 mile run

Friday:  Swim-bike-run (indoors)

Saturday:  REST

This week, I think I'll take my bike to the local bike shop to get it checked out ... I'd like to prevent any bicycle mishaps during these races, especially since I've been so focused in my training.

I feel really good.  I don't know if I've ever felt this strong before.

First race is two weeks from today.  Second race is in four weeks.  I'll keep you posted.

What are the rest of you up to?  Please share.  We're listening.

No comments: