I hit the big 3-0 today, and I'm ready to kiss my twenties goodbye with a three-sport race on Sunday. I just learned that there will be 650 participants in the triathlon--so many, in fact, that all of the athletes were issued parking passes for race day. I feel pretty special.
I've trained as best I can, and I feel ready to compete. Aside from not getting kicked in the face during the swim, my main goal is to feel good during the run. I know I can swim 400m and bike 20K without any problems, but the 5K run after all of that is what I'm nervous about. My goal is to save some juice for the run, so that I can jog the whole way without having to walk. I want to enjoy it.
We'll see what happens ...
In other news, my YMCA got all new cardio and strength equipment this summer, and after several months of renovations, we now have access to all this cool workout stuff. Today, I played around on all the strength machines and free weights before my run. Fun stuff.
How's everybody doing out there?
Janet, are you still doing your workouts?
Christine, what are you up to? Training for the half marathon?
Honor, did you try out the swimming classes?
Ellen, are you still being active most days of the week?
Jen, how's your swimming going?
I'm listening.
5 comments:
HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I hope you had a fantastic day, and I hope you have a fantastic decade.
Good luck on the tri! I hope you enjoy every minute of it and get inspired by seeing the ages of everyone written all over their limbs! I would crack up at the men twenty years older than me just whizzing right on by. Whenever someone would yell "On your left," while I was on the bike, I would smile and think...EVERYbody is on my left! I didn't pass anyone on the bike. I was like Mrs. Gulch in the Wizard of Oz, and I would sing that funny music over and over in my head that would play whenever she and the wicked witch would appear.
I am training for the Thanksgiving half, but haven't done too much because it's so hot. I did stadium stairs yesterday and will head back tonight to do more. I walk around the track and go up the stairs each time I pass them by. I have to keep working out, because I bought new clothes (professional not hiking...) for teaching and I bought them when I got back from the hike. I looked pretty trim after all those miles and need to keep it off:>
What is everyone else doing? I miss seeing you and hearing about all of your pursuits!
I hope you enjoy your 30s as much as I have so far. With each year that passes, I’m a little wiser and more appreciative with just being me. I swore not to be like my mother -who changes her age every time someone asks. I never understood the logic behind that. I’m just happy and feel blessed being here celebrating another year with my family.
You’ll do great at the triathlon. It sounds like you’ve really dedicated preparing for the race, just be careful maneuvering around 650 people! That’s a lot of sweat. I can’t wait to read your “after the race” blog and learn how you did. Is this your first triathlon? To help with the 5K, buy those shoes with the wheels and just coast down hills. It’ll give you time to catch your breath.
My update...the decadence train came by my house recently and I was more than happy to hop on. I’m back now, working out and trying to undo the damage. Bryan and I plan to take up tennis, as soon as the weather becomes more comfortable for outside play. I think I’ve hit a plateau though. I’m not discouraged though. I still want python arms. I really enjoy reading all the postings. It does inspire me to continue and I feel like I can reach my goals.
Janet,
Are you still walking? Are you interested in walking a 10k race together? (That's only six miles.) There is one on Labor Day, if you think you are up to it. It's a hilly course from Cumberland Mall to White Water. I'll walk it with you if you'd like, and we can catch up! Anyone can join us that is interested.
Hi, you two! It's great to hear from both of you!!
Christine, your "on your left" story cracked me up! That's how I was on my first triathlon 10 years ago. It was open to both men and women, and, whooo doggies, those people were FAST! And I agree that it's awesome to see everyone's ages written on the back of their calves, so we can be impressed and inspired. :)
It sounds like your training is going really well. Stadium stairs ... you are awesome! I bet that is great preparation for your half marathon. You go, girl!
And, Janet, your advice about the shoes with wheels for the 5K is hilarious! I never thought of that, but I'll definitely keep it in mind. :) I also love your philosophy about age. Who decided that we needed to keep our ages a secret? That we should be embarrassed by the number of years we've lived? What a crock!
Hey, enjoy the ride on the decadence train. We all need to kick back and enjoy ourselves sometimes, and since you also enjoy being active, you can probably ride that train without too much trouble. :)
Thanks, you two!
Hey Christine!
I say sign me up! Let me know where to register and I'll be ready. Do you want to ride together? I'm glad you asked, I need to do something, feeling a little inadequate after ready your and Katie's accomplishments.
We're all warriors!!!
Post a Comment