Trent and I participated in the first annual Great Locomotive Chase in downtown Kennesaw, GA, this morning. We both ran the 5K race, and it was pretty darn fun. Trent met his goal time (somewhere around 23 minutes), and I met mine (27:30). The weather was gorgeous, the race was well-organized, and the course was somewhat challenging, with an extended hill around mile 2, and another hill before mile 3.
Afterward, our race number got us free admission into the Southern Museum (tickets are normally $7.50), which tells the story--with lots of cool artifacts--of the Great Locomotive Chase of 1862 ... back when Kennesaw was Big Shanty. :)
After toodling around in the museum for 90 minutes, we went back outside for the Taste of Kennesaw Festival, and we ate pulled pork sandwiches and sweet tea from a local restaurant we'd never tried (we plan to go back now), while listening to live music and, later, watching a clogging performance. It was a fun morning.
Trent's getting more interested in running. Even though we don't run the same pace (totally fine by me), it's kind of cool planning these activities with him. We might try a 40-mile bike ride/race (there is a 62-mile option) in October. Trent has mentioned training for triathlons with me (he's watched me compete in several), and today after the race he said, "I can only imagine what that 5K must feel like after swimming and running." That's right, buddy. Bow down before me. Be in awe.
Hope you all are doing great! Stay tough. Stay buff.
2 comments:
I am glad you and Trent are having fun in Kennesaw. It is nice that both of you are interested in staying fit. I would like to hear more about the 40 mile bike ride. I wonder how much time you would have to complete that event. There are a lot more people in Hays riding bikes these days. Most of them are adults. I am over my cold and back into my routine. Thanks for your encouragement. YOU ARE AWESOME KATIE!
Awww, thanks, Honor. I'm glad you're back in your routine again. Me too, after a yucky sinus infection last week. My head felt like it was going to explode most of the week, so I took Monday and Tuesday off from my workouts and just did some easy fitness stuff Wed.-Fri. (a couple easy swims and a yoga class). I'm back in the saddle now though, and it feels GOOD!!
Post a Comment