We're going running at Kennesaw Mountain Park today. It's a brisk 55-degree day (not like last week's 70-degree run), and I'm looking forward to it. We only run together for the first 5-10 minutes, and then Trent takes off. Fine by me. I prefer to go my own pace without my coach/spouse telling me to "pick it up." His pace is WAY faster than mine, and I'm not in any mood to try to keep up.
Any of you ever have your spouse/partner/significant other try to "coach" you? Or have you ever been the "coach" in the relationship -- whether it's for working out, eating right, budgeting better, etc.? I'm sure we all play coach a bit in our relationships, but Trent and I learned pretty early on that we generally can't work out together. Bike rides, yes. Walks, yes. Hikes, yes. Even swimming, yes -- because I'm a NICE coach. But anything where Trent has more ability than I ... NO WAY, JOSE.
Running? Not so much. We did train for the Phoenix Rock 'n Roll Half Marathon together a few years ago, but he sometimes got a little impatient with me on our long runs.
Lifting weights? Hell, no! I lift weights that feel heavy enough to me ... you know, 8-12 reps and I'm getting fatigued. If that starts to get easy, I'll go up in weight. If it doesn't, well then, I just stay where I am. And that's that. Trent, on the other hand, seems to go up in weight every couple of weeks, and he just can't imagine why I'm still on 130 pounds (after a few months) on the leg press machine. Well, sometimes my knee hurts a little, and I'm not in the mood for knee problems. I think that's a pretty good reason to listen to my body, rather than listening to Coach Trent.
So, I do my own thing and he does his, for the most part. I'm looking forward to our run today.
Tell me about your coach stories, people. I can't wait!!
No comments:
Post a Comment