Saturday, January 23, 2010

28 weeks and swimming

Lately (okay, since October) I've been really... complaining (that's the nice word!) to my husband that I never get to use our gym membership. The child care hours stink and simply don't work for me. I really, really needed to swim- I felt/feel like I am getting fat and flabby, don't want to gain too much weight and, frankly, I need the mental and emotional release swimming gives me.

We finally agreed that I would try the 5:45 am (yes, AM!) swim time. It is really basic, all freestyle and mostly stroke work. It involves getting my lazy preggo self OUT of bed at 5:15, grabbing my gear and heading out the door. I agreed to try it for two weeks.

Well, the first week went "okay" since we had ONE day of swimming and then the gym (and schools) were closed due to the cold. (Yes, you may mock KC. I know I did!) I've made it every Tuesday/Thursday since then. I can only swim 30-45 minutes since I HAVE to be out of the water by 6:30 so Adam can leave for work.

I am pretty tired. Thursday I fell asleep at 7 pm, woke at ten to take out my contacts and went back to sleep! I am also waaaay more hungry. I don't know if that is because I am working out more, or simply because I am 7 months preggo but... dude, feed me. Now. Last week it was chocolate cake. Then ice cream. Now IHOP pancakes. Yum, yum.

The coach wants me to walk too but the SPD is acting up so I have to be careful. I use light weights at home. I know I won't be a size six in July (we have a wedding to go too) but I want to buy a pretty dress that is sleeveless and NOT be embaressed by the Italian Turkey Wobble that started the week I turned 30!

My goal is to swim until Easter when I am 38 weeks. After that, I may just sit on my butt until our boy makes his arrival!

5 comments:

Honor Louise said...

What a woman! You are amazing. And very disciplined. Bravo. I think about you often and I am praying you make it to 38 weeks. I am glad that it worked out for you to use the pool.

Katie Cramer said...

Go, Laura!!! You are awesome. I'm so glad you and hubby worked out a plan for you to be able to swim again.

So, your body is feeling good (and tired and hungry); how are you feeling mentally? Does it feel great to be back in the water?

What is SPD, by the way?

Italian Turkey Wobble? That is too funny!! And totally false, you hot, athletic chica.

So, Easter is the goal. I'm rooting for you. Praying too. :-)

Laura said...

Mentally, some days are good and some are bad. There's lots of family drama going on,which is why I have a new blog that is under "lockdown." (Shoot me your e-mail if you want access.) Right now, every single applience in our house seems to be breaking and I'm not joking! Once I have a working house... dishwasher... computer again, I might be happier!

Laura said...

OH, SPD is pelvic seperation pain. It basically feels like I have been kicked in the manly bits, if I HAD any manly bits. It was bad with Georgie, to the point that walking was very painful. It comes and goes now... better at 28 wks than beginning at 10 like it did with G!

Katie Cramer said...

Yikes--SPD sounds horrible, Laura! You are one tough broad. :-)

Yes, I'd love to keep following your blog. I like to check in every now and then to see what's going on in your world. Plus, you're such an awesomely hilarious and witty writer.