Saturday, January 16, 2010

New Year's Resolutions

Did anybody make any resolutions this year? Here's mine: Be more present. Yep, that's it. Very mind-body-spirit-feng-shui-new-age. Trendy.

But here's why: a few weeks ago I began noticing that I always felt sort of uneasy and anxious, even when I was working out, which used to be a sort of mental release for me. Suddenly, my workouts and my free time weren't as pleasurable. And when I stopped to think about why, I realized that it was because my mind was always on other things ... work, matron of honor duties, chores I'd been neglecting, etc.

So, even before 2010 rolled around, I began practicing being more present and aware of my here and now, rather than letting my mind wander in a million different directions. I mean, I already make a zillion to-do lists. You'd think that would be enough and that I wouldn't waste time thinking about things I needed to do. Anyway, now I'm practicing mindfulness ... trying to, anyway.

And, I'm excited about my workout plan, trying out some new classes ...

Mondays: 35-40 min. bootcamp class, followed by 40 min. cycle class
Tuesdays: 3000 yard swim
Wednesdays: lift weights and run
Thursdays: yoga (and, if I feel like it, maybe some cardio)
Fridays: 3000 yard swim

Weekends: maybe a walk, a hike, a run, a bike ride ... or just hanging out. Whatever.

It feels good to get back into a routine after the traveling I've done the past few weeks.

What are y'all up to? What are your resolutions? Do tell.

4 comments:

Laura said...

Get to 38 weeks?

Honor Louise said...

I am still thinking about my new year's resolution. I admire the resolution you made, Katie. Being mindful sounds challenging. I think I could do it for 5 minutes some days, and then hope I improved.

Your work out routine also sounds challenging. I hope you like your new classes and are having fun.

I want to try to eat healthier carbs and be more thankful in 2010. This means eating less bread, and complaining less about inconsequential matters. Kinda like, Don't Sweat the Small Stuff. I guess those goals could be called resolutions.

All is well here because the ice is almost gone!!! Yeah!!!!

Katie Cramer said...

Hi, Laura and Honor. Your resolutions sound great to me. :-)

I hope you'll both post updates on the blog periodically, letting us know how you're doing.

I like your resolution to be more thankful in 2010, Honor. In my experience, and from what I've heard, people who strive to be grateful pay more attention to the beauty and blessings in their lives and are, therefore, more satisfied and happy in their lives. It's sort of a recursive process, I think. The more you try to live in gratitude, the more beautiful and bountiful your life seems. I might have to try that, too. Thanks for sharing.

Laura, good luck with the 38 weeks. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. :-)

Katie Cramer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.