Tuesday, December 1, 2009

HFCS-free foods

My friends and I came upw ith this list about a year ago:

Kashi TLC crackers (and their cereal bars)
Melba "toast" crackers
Kraft string cheese and they now have a version that is hormone free!
plain oatmeal in the giant tubs, even off brand Best Choice.
Quaker Simple Harvest insant oatmeal (not healthy harvest, sorry!)
Wild Garden Hummus. We like the sun dried tomato. (These are shelf stable until you open them)
Cheerios
Kix
Malt O Meal "Frosted Mini Wheats"
Best Choice canned tomato products
Best Choice plain/unsweetened applesauce.
Mott's Healthy Harvest mixed applesauces. I THINK the name is Healthy Harvest but it is the kind with apples, different fruits, water and vitamin C.
Thomas Whole Wheat mini bagels
Pepperidge Farm Whole Wheat Mini Bagels
Mission Tortillas (98 per cent FF whole wheat/grain)
Toufya whole wheat pita bread
ETA: Dannon all natural yogurts, including plain, vanilla and berry flavored ones
Yoplait Blue's Clues and Dora yogurts
Pace Salsa
Aldi brand pasta sauces
Classico brand pasta sauce at Costco
Goldfish
Kozy Shack pudding
Quaker "Simple Harvest" oatmeal packets & granola bars
Orowheat brand bread
Smucker's "Simply Fruit" jellies, any flavor
Santa Fe Whole-Grain Tortillas
Anything "fruit leather" including the Target brand, the brands found at Whole Foods and the new ones put out by Fruit Roll-ups (The latter are NOT organic but have ingrediants that I can read, ya know?)
Most organic ketcups

The above is what I buy, pre packaged, on a fairly regular basis. I don't buy fruit or veggie breads, since my mother and grandmother each have about ten zillion recipes for them and I have most of those recipes. I use my "Better Baking Mix" for pancakes and muffins. I make my own applesauce and freeze it but buy BC when it runs out. I also make my own mac and cheese (which takes the same amount of time as the boxed, believe it or not).

I have to watch but anything labeled "sugar free" has splenda or nutrasweet in it, which giveme migraines.

It's not an all inclusive list. I need to look out for bread and ketcup again. I made my own ketcup for awhile and I need to make my own bread (because we seriously can go through a loaf in one meal if all five of us eat) but I'm too tired for that right now.

4 comments:

Dawn said...

Right On! I'm taking this blog to the grocery!

Honor Louise said...

Wow!!! This is quite an extensive list. Thanks for taking the time to share it. I do not think we get the Best Choice brand here in Hays. We don't have an Aldi's here either, which is too bad. Walmart carries some of these products though. I should make a copy of the list to use when I shop. Thanks again.

Foodcentric1 said...

better than many "food replacement substances" you might find in the "grocery store" Though, Please remember many of these items are loaded with GM ingredients. Genetically modified.

This is not plant hybridization this is super weird blending of genetic material from bacteria & plants & fish & & &... {I promise I'm really not trying to ruin anyone's snack time. I'm sure it's all delicious. I too might get caught with a handful of many of these when it's what is there to grab a handful of.} Please just keep this is mind, keep an eye out, & too keep on pressing for the labeling of GMO products. If it doesn't say "Organic" well... over 86% of corn is GMO, over 90% of soy is GMO & & &. Happy garden growing! - cHEF Be -

Katie Cramer said...

Thanks for sharing this list, Laura. You're quite the HFCS-free resource! Yahoo!