Saturday, November 28, 2009

I gave it to the Chickens!

Just wondering does anyone really eat this stuff.
I was grocery shopping for Thanksgiving and my mother-in-law reminded me several times about the blasted cranberry sauce. ICK! I've never liked it. I've always wondered about the process that made a perfectly good fruit look like the inside of a can and transform the taste into something that is completely unexplainable. My Hound Dog doesn't even like it and she likes petroleum jelly on roofing shingles. I didn't bother to check out the nutrition information although now I wished I had. Turns out only the mom-in-law ate some, the rest was fed to the chickens on Friday morning. Chickens love just about anything including cranberry sauce. Hope my eggs don't taste like it!

3 comments:

Laura said...

My friend make an awesome version that involves, like, a bag of whole cranberries, some sugar and water and some intense boiling. Yum, yum,

We had the canned stuff growing up. My mother says that when she first made thanksgiving for hersef and my dad, he took one look at her making the sauce from scratch and said, "Where's the stuff in the can?" She figured why bother if he likes the canned version!

Me? We did a pot luck and someone ELSE brought the real stuff. :)

Dirt Cheap Grandma said...

For cranberry sauce that does not look or taste like the inside of a can, simply place 1 cup water, 1 cup sugar, and 1 bag cranberries in a pot and bring to a boil. Boil, stirring often, until the cranberries have popped (rather like squishy popcorn) If you want to be creative you can put bits of orange and/or apple (and there are probably other fruit bits that would be good as well) These have the advantage of muting the overwhelming cranberry taste a bit and making you look like a fancy cook to your mother in law.

Katie Cramer said...

Mmmmm, cranberry sauce. My mom makes it just like Pinnochia Snarkly described. I think the recipe is on the bag of Ocean Spray cranberries you buy at the supermarket. The canned stuff is total crap.