Monday, November 9, 2009

High Fructose Corn Syrup

I'm starting a week of detox from High Fructose Corn Syrup. I have vowed that this week, for seven days I will not knowingly consume HFCS. I am going to dinner on Thursday evening so I can't be sure about everything in that meal but I will order accordingly. As you all know, I'm addicted to Pepsi so I may be a bit grouchy for a couple of days!

I don't think I will be fixing any funnel cake even though there is no HFCS in it.

3 comments:

Katie Cramer said...

You are my hero, Coach Dawn. You can do it!!! I've never really examined the foods I regularly ingest for HFCS ... perhaps I should take a look.

Last week, after Trent and I got done swing dancing, I treated him to dinner at Bugaboo Creek Steakhouse (we'd never been before ... the high point is the sweet potato French fries ... mmmm!). Anyway, earlier in the day, we'd gone running in Kennesaw Mt. Park, and I guess I hadn't replenished my fluids adequately. I began chugging sweet tea before and during dinner, not really thinking about potential consequences, and as we were getting ready to leave, I started feeling nauseous and light-headed ... I can only imagine that it was because of all my sugar intake. It was weirdorama.

Anywho, I'll have to examine my food for HFCS. You've inspired me. Be sure to give us plenty of updates. You can do it!!!!

Hmmm, I just realized that you're already five days into your detox. How's it going?

Honor Louise said...

It is hard not to consume corn syrup. Campbell's tomato soup lists corn syrup as an ingredient. So do most commercial pasta sauces. I was very surprised to learn that.

Katie, I am sorry that you experienced light headedness and nausea after consuming the tea. It might be related to the sugar, or it could be related to the sugar and caffein. That sick feeling hits me in the morning if I drink a lot of hot tea before I eat anything.

Good luck with the fast, Dawn. If you are giving up Pepsi's, I know how hard that can be. I cannot go without colas for very long.

Laura said...

Somewhere i have a list of HFCS-free foods. Let me look... we detoxed from it awhile ago.