Well, I'm officially settled in Wichita (Trent will join me in November, after his season ends and, we hope, after the house sells).
I love several things about living in a smaller city, several of which are related to fitness and my overall well-being:
1. The traffic. Or lack thereof. It is a piece of cake to get around this city. In fact, when my lovely aunt Honor came into town with her honey a couple weeks ago, I was able to meet her for dinner twice during "rush hour," and it was a breeze getting to my destination.
2. I can easily get on my bicycle and go for a ride right outside my home. I don't have to drive to a safe location to ride my bike. I can just go! And I have for the past 4 Sunday mornings. Good 60-75 minute rides in the Kansas countryside.
3. Sidewalks. YES! There are sidewalks everywhere -- unlike Kennesaw, GA. It's safe to walk and run all over the place. Yay!
4. Beautiful downtown. I took a walk along the rivers downtown yesterday, admiring the Keeper of the Plains sculpture and the rest of the city sights. Fabulous!
5. Decent university gym. The pool is fabulous. Clean. At least 8 lanes available all the time. Short course meters. The weights and cardio areas are okay. They fit my budget right now, and it doesn't hurt that it's right across the street from my building.
In other news, my mom and I are doing a 5K race in Wichita at the end of September. It's her first 5K, I think, and she's been following a walk-jog training plan I gave to her. She's doing great! Woohoo!
Here's a happy story about muscle memory --
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=129359637
Apparently, if you have to take a break from your workouts (at least, your strength-training workouts), it won't take your body long to get back to its original strength, or at least close to it.
2 comments:
I am glad you enjoy living in Wichita. I enjoyed being there in July. It was easier to drive in Wichita than I thought it would be. It seems to be a friendly town with some cool places to go. The WSU campus is attractive and on level ground,so I could walk without difficulty. It sounds like everything you need to stay fit is available. Here's to a great life in a great prairie town. Have fun when your mom comes to visit in September.
And I enjoyed seeing you a few weeks ago, Honor. :-) I hope you'll post some of your delicious, nutritious new recipes or share stories about your new meal planning routine on our blog. I think we can all benefit from your experience. Love ya!
Post a Comment