Sunday, June 26, 2011

Tasty breakfast dish

The USDA's new My Plate food recommendations (http://www.choosemyplate.gov/) have inspired me to start consuming more fruits and vegetables. The plate format, as opposed to the pyramid I learned in school, is much more helpful for visual learners, like me. Anyway, I've been stocking up on carrots, peppers, tomatoes, and fresh spinach. And I came up with a tasty breakfast dish that I eat any time of the day.

Ingredients:
1/4 to 1/3 cup of diced tomato
1/4 to 1/3 cup of diced green pepper
4-5 leaves of fresh basil, chopped
1 slice of mozarella cheese
1-2 eggs, beaten
1/2 to 1 cup of prepared quinoa (prepare according to instructions on box)
ground pepper to taste
Greek Seasoning from Penzey's (optional)

Instructions:
1. Heat skillet and spray cooking spray on it.
2. Saute tomato and green pepper for a few minutes.
3. Dump in the egg, ground pepper, basil, and cheese. Stir.
4. Dump in the quinoa. Stir.
5. Add the Greek Seasoning (a blend of salt, oregano, garlic, lemon peel, Tellicherry black pepper, and marjoram), if you want.

Serve with a side of grapes or a sliced orange. Mmmmm, tasty.

1 comment:

Honor Louise said...

This recipe sounds good. I need to start eating quinoa again. It was easier to find in Hays. I need to eat more fruits and vegetables too. Everything is so expensive anymore! Thanks for the recipe.