Hello, fellow tough and buffers.
I hope you're all enjoying a pleasant holiday weekend. We paid our respects at the Oklahoma City Memorial and Museum yesterday, and today we're vegging out and reading while the wind howls like a maniac outside.
The 10K is still a go for this Saturday. I went for a 50 minute run outdoors on Friday, and I felt really good, so I think I'm ready to rock and roll this weekend.
It's sort of weird moving "home" to a town I've never lived in. I've spent most of this year trying to get a handle on my job and sell the house, etc., but I haven't really put forth any effort to develop a sense of community here. I haven't joined a church, like I did in Kennesaw; we don't have a dog, so we haven't met nearly as many of our apartment complex neighbors as we did in Phoenix; we didn't have any close friends here in W-town when we moved here; most of my close friends and family in Kansas live north of here. My colleagues are really nice, and perhaps I'll try to organize some more social events this summer with them. But now that I'm not working nearly as hard (and not getting paid either), it feels a little lonely. So, I decided to join the masters swim team that practices at WSU. I've been to about four practices with them, and I'm really enjoying the camraderie and the extra kick in the pants for the workout. Perhaps this will be the start of a sense of community for me in my new home. We shall see ...
Happy Memorial Day Weekend, my friends. Perhaps someone else besides me will decide to post on here. Anyone? Anyone? I know you're out there. :-)
3 comments:
Wow the OKC Memorial, I can't find words to explain what I felt there. I had the opportunity to visit many years ago when I was attending a Boys and Girls Club conference. It was just a very different feeling.
I understand, or at least I think I do, your search for a community. I've lived on the mountain here for nearly six years and my social arena is much, much different than before. Shelly is content to chat with cows, goats and the hired hand. I'm not in the same boat. I miss being active on the LGBTQ front, swimming, etc. I get very frustrated sometimes as I often feel like I had to trade my social circles for my relationship with Shel.
I'd love to join a Masters team, or even start one if I could find a viable pool.
I know what you mean. Since having number three and then number four in rapid succession, I feel like alot of my friends have moved on, because they have less kids. Most of them have opted for a different type of schooling than we have, so we are on different sceds. I'm up to my eyeballs with the needs of one of my kids... so I get it, on some level.
Hey, you two. Thanks for your replies and for sharing your experiences. :-)
Dawn -- Shelly has a lot in common with Trent. As we were looking for houses, he wanted something out in the country, away from everyone, while I wanted to stay in some sort of neighborhood (preferably an older one) to maintain that sense of community. Trent claims to "not like people," although he's perfectly cordial with all of our apartment neighbors and even likes most of them. I think he just likes animals even more.
Laura -- it sounds like your beautiful kiddos are keeping you on your toes. I can't wait to see you all again, sometime when I'm up in KC. Right now, we're planning to be up for Fourth of July weekend (July 2-4), if you'll be around. Maybe I could stop by sometime.
P.S. We did get a dog a week ago, so we're looking forward to getting to know our neighbors (either here or in our new neighborhood, if the sellers accept our offer) by way of Eloise, the terrier mix.
I'm glad we have a sense of community on this blog, too ... even if we live in different cities and states. Yay! Love you guys!
Post a Comment