Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Resolutions

Hello, fellow tough and buffers!  Happy 2012!!

So, how's the year starting off for you all?  So far, so good here.  I had a productive end to the semester and got quite a bit of work done up until Dec. 22, so I happily took last week "off" and did some professional and personal reading in between visits with family and friends.  It was wonderful.

What about resolutions?  Did you make any?  I like resolutions.  Probably because I like setting goals.  So I do have a couple ...

1.  Consistently leave work at a reasonable time.  I had to set this same goal in my first years of teaching too.  Because of my perfectionist/"I must be the expert" tendencies, I spend A LOT of time on my work.  Probably too much.  Since I started teaching at WSU, I've allowed my work to consume a great deal of my time and energy, and even though I like my job and my students, I need to set some limits for myself.  So my goal is to consistently leave work at a reasonable time at least 4 days per week.  I'll allow myself to stay late one day a week and (if necessary) go in or take work home on the weekends.  It's entirely possible that if I limit my time, I will actually be more productive ... although I don't tend to waste time at work as it is (and I tend to be the type of person who needs time for things to percolate).  We'll see how it goes.

2.  Refrain from vegging out in front of the television after work.  This ties in with my first resolution.  Since I'll be getting home from work a little earlier, I'm hoping that, instead of feeling exhausted, I'll feel like I can be a little productive with my time, choosing activities that are rejuvenating, rather than mind-numbing.  There are shows that Trent and I enjoy watching together (The Good Wife, Mike and Molly, Parenthood, Criminal Minds, Parks and Recreation), and we'll continue to watch them, I'm sure.  But I don't need to plant myself in front of the television (after making tomorrow's lunch, taking out my contacts, and packing my gym bag) while I eat dinner until I fall asleep.  That's silly.  Instead of TV, I could do any number of things:  read, practice the piano, walk the dog, practice yoga, pray, journal, etc.  Heck, maybe I could get on this blog more than once a semester or answer personal e-mail in a more timely fashion.  Write a letter.  So many options besides reality TV and late night reruns.

3.  Change my passwords so they are more challenging.  I read an article in Consumer Reports, and my passwords need some work. 

So there you have it.  These are my resolutions.  Healthy eating and fitness are going pretty well for me right now, so I'm focusing on other things right now.  I'd love to see your posts about your resolutions or current goals for your mental, physical, spiritual, emotional, financial (etc.) health.  And keep in mind that your will power will be more potent/effective if you keep your list short.  I heard that on NPR this past weekend. 

No comments: