Here's the thing about group swim workouts ... they're most effective when you swim with people who are about your speed. Fellow swimmers, am I right? Yes, I am.
So, last Saturday, I go to my triathlon training class, which begins with a 45-minute swim workout. Forty-five minutes. No big deal. Since the swim is so short, I like to try to get the most out of it. You know, challenge myself with intervals that will get my heart pumping and at least sort of simulate the experience of pushing myself during a race.
Now, I have no problem sharing a lane with folks who go on about the same interval as me. I also have no problem sharing with slower folks when the pool is really full. I can slow down so that the seven other people in my lane can go at a challenging, yet manageable pace--even if I'm not particularly challenged--if the pool is crowded. No problemo.
BUT!!! When there are only 1-3 people per lane, no one should have to be in a lane with someone who is either much faster or much slower. Unless, of course, you're in the lane with the superstar triathlete who is good on the land but not so good in the water. The person who wants to get "a good workout" and invades the fast lanes in order to do so, completely oblivious to the fact that he/she is slowing down everyone else in that lane.
Last Saturday, I'm getting ready for the warm-up, when Ms. Speedy hops into the my lane, which is already occupied by me and another swimmer (i.e., no chance for splitting the lane -- we all must circle swim).
Ms. Speedy then proceeds to inform us that even though she is a "slow swimmer," she wants to get a "good workout today."
I just gawk.
And then I push off the wall for the 400 warm-up.
It's not too long before I'm ready to pass Ms. Speedy, who (I soon discover) would be better suited to lane 2, rather than lane 4. As we make our way through the workout, I eventually move myself over to lane 5, which we're not supposed to use during our workouts ...
Ms. Speedy has slowed down my lane mates, so that they're all going her pace and on her interval. They're not even getting the yardage done.
So, Ms. Speedy, I'm wondering ... what was the point of moving over to lane 4, if you were just going to do the workout and intervals assigned to lane 2. WHAT IS THE POINT???!?!? You're just slowing down the rest of us, you goob.
This is yet another example of poor pool etiquette. Ms. Speedy, you FAIL.
No comments:
Post a Comment