Saturday, June 19, 2010

Big Talker

Okay, so about that triathlon two weeks ago ...

During the weeks leading up to it, Trent started talking smack, saying that he was going to kick my ass, since he's a much faster runner than me. So what if he hadn't been swimming (and had never swum 600 yards without stopping in the YMCA pool). He was determined to whup me.

So, at the race we discover that we're the only ones without racing bikes. That was our first clue that this crowd was a little more elite than those participating in the Acworth Women's Tri.

I was in the third heat (with my age group); Trent was in the last heat (with the novices). So, I didn't get to see Trent's start to the race. All I knew is that I had to beat his behind, and I sure as heck couldn't let him catch me from a 5-6 minute defecit at the start.

I feel great about my performance! I kept the swim smooth and strong, shifting into breaststroke periodically so I could sight the course. I finished the 600m lake swim in less than 12 minutes and was the 8th woman out of the water.

The bike was a lot hillier than I was expecting. The race description stated that there would be rolling hills. These hills were doing more than rolling. They were mocking us. But the ride was beautiful, out in the countryside. I finished the 15 miles in 56 minutes. I didn't pass a single person; they all passed me.

The 5K run was also hilly, and it was an out and back course, so I knew I would see Trent eventually. On the way out, I kept thinking that I'd see him pass me -- laughing his ass off about beating me. That helped me keep my pace up. On the way back, 2 miles into the race, I began to wonder where he was. I actually started to get worried, which also made me run faster. I finished the 5K (at the end of a triathlon!!) in less than 29 minutes!!!!

When I crossed the finish line, Trent was waiting for me with water. What?? Yes, he finished the race 90 minutes ahead of me.

After 200 yards of swimming.

He finished his race on a jet ski. :-)

3 comments:

Dawn said...

That just made me laugh. Way to go, KT. You are so awesome.

Honor Louise said...

Wow Katie! You are stellar. Trent should be properly impressed. You made great time. Are you thinking about getting a racing bike, or would it be worth it? The hills that mock. I love that line.

Katie Cramer said...

Thanks, you two. I'm glad I made you laugh. :-)

I doubt I will get a racing bike, Honor. I'm just not that into riding ... and they're kind of expensive. I'll just stick with my trusty hybrid from Dick's. It does the job.

I look forward to reading some posts from you two gals soon. What's going on on the farm, Dawn? What's happening in Hays, Kansas after the big family reunion, Honor? Are you both beating the heat? Love ya!