Saturday, January 29, 2011

Cell Phones in Locker Rooms

I'm getting ready to rumble with WSU regarding cell/camera phones in its locker rooms. I've got my letter all typed up, and I'm going to workshop it with my students during Monday's class before sending it (via e-mail, actually) to the rec center director.

Apparently, the university considered banning cell/camera phones in the locker rooms a few years ago but decided against it. Really? You've got people of all ages running around the locker rooms, including elementary school-aged kiddos on the swim team ... and you don't think it would be beneficial to have a policy that specifically bans cell/camera phone use in places where people are changing clothes? Really? That's a lawsuit waiting to happen.

And that's what I'm going to say in my letter. I already put my request in writing last November and heard nothing back. I'm taking it to the next level now. And I'm not stopping.

What do you all think about cell/camera phone use in locker rooms? What are the policies in the gyms you use? Do share!

3 comments:

Laura said...

I'm with you. They are banned in the past two gyms we have belonged too. I think it is esp important when young children are involved, like you said. But, honestly, policy or no, if someone had a cell phone or camera out in a locker room, I would ream them up one side, down the other and complain LOUDLY to everyone who would listen and several who would't. WOuld love to see the letter when it is finished!

Honor Louise said...

I think everyone needs their privacy protected in the locker room. All kinds of things show up on YouTube, because there are no guidelines to ensure the public's privacy. You are right that a lawsuit is in the school's future. But a lawsuit cannot undo the embarrassment and humiliation a victim feels when candid shots appear on the internet. This is a good class project to work on, and a good way for everyone to become an advocate for privacy rules.

Katie Cramer said...

Thanks for your encouragement, Laura and Honor! And you're right that a lawsuit can never undo the damage and humiliation done by one thoughtless decision. That's what I like about a policy -- it makes people think. It makes them more aware of their surroundings and how their own actions might make someone else feel uncomfortable. Hmmm, there's a novel idea.

Laura, I'll post the letter (minus specific identifiers) after my class reviews it tomorrow. Thanks for your interest. :-)

Later, gators.