Monday, January 31, 2011

E-mail Requesting Policy for Cell Phone Ban in Locker Rooms

Hey, y'all! Below is my e-mail to the directors of the student rec center here on campus. I've removed all identifying information. Let me know if you have suggestions for improvement!!

----

Dear _______________ and ________________,

As a faculty member who enjoys working out at the [insert name of fitness center] 5-6 days a week, I am writing to request that you consider implementing a policy that prohibits the use of all camera devices (including cell phones) in the locker rooms at the [name of fitness center].

After visiting with ______________ about my concerns related to privacy in the locker rooms last semester, I submitted a comment card to the [name of fitness center] with my name, contact information, and a request for follow-up communication in November. Since I have not heard back from anyone, I am writing again to encourage you to consider creating and posting a policy that prohibits the use of all camera devices, including cell phones, in the [name of fitness center] locker rooms.

Cell phones with cameras are ubiquitous these days; it is too easy for people to take photos or videos of other patrons (in various stages of undress) and upload them onto the internet without their consent or knowledge. This can be done in a matter of seconds.

Implementing such a policy is not about penalizing cell phone users; it’s about educating people and changing the culture of [name of university] and the attitudes of patrons who enjoy the [name of fitness center].

Patrons should not have to worry that the person texting next to them in a locker bank is actually taking their picture. I often see patrons texting in the locker room, particularly in the evenings. The cell phone users generally, though unintentionally (I hope), position their phones in such a way that a photo can easily and discreetly be taken at any moment.

Patrons should also be able to ask cell phone users to take their cell phone conversations and cameras outside the locker room (or put them away). The [name of fitness center] should have a posted policy that backs up this request.

With elementary, middle, and secondary school-age patrons using the locker rooms in the afternoons/evenings (e.g., for swim team practice), it is vitally important that this policy be implemented. These young people should not be permitted to use their camera phones in the locker rooms, nor should they (or their parents) have to fear that someone else is using a camera phone to invade their privacy.

I would imagine that [name of university] would want to be proactive in implementing such a policy, if even for the sole purpose of protecting itself from liability, should someone choose to use his/her camera phone inappropriately in a locker room.

Arizona State University has had such a policy in place since at least 2003 when I was a graduate student there. In addition, here in Kansas, Pittsburg State has a policy banning cell phone use in locker rooms and activity areas: http://www.pittstate.edu/campus-life/groups/intramurals/campusrecreation/policies.dot.

I would be happy to visit with you about possibilities for enacting such a policy and changing the culture of the [name of fitness center]so that all patrons can feel secure knowing that [name of university] has made every attempt to protect their privacy.

In fact, a few prominent signs asking people to turn off or put away their cell/camera phones before entering the locker room would be sufficient. These signs should also indicate the rationale behind the policy (e.g., that almost all phones are equipped with cameras, and that patrons’ privacy is better protected when cameras are turned off in the locker rooms). I have also included a few online resources below for your review.

Thank you for your consideration, and I look forward to your response.

Best regards,



Grand Rapids Y banning use of all electronic devices in locker rooms after latest charges against former Muskegon Y employee
Thursday, July 22, 2010
http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2010/07/grand_rapids_y_banning_all_ele.html

Readers' Q&A: Cell phones and locker rooms
http://athleticbusiness.com/how-to/readers/question.aspx?qid=5

Gyms ban cell phone use due to privacy
Friday, March 26, 2004
http://www.dailyorange.com/2.8657/gyms-ban-cell-phone-use-due-to-privacy-1.1246505

Potential Problems in Locker Rooms
IHRSA: Personal, Privacy and Security Issues
http://recmgmt.com/feature_print.php?fid=200403GC01

3 comments:

Katie Cramer said...

I'll keep you posted on the response I receive. :-)

Honor Louise said...

I think you presented a compelling case for implementing a ban on cell phones in the locker room. The powers that be should be glad that you brought this issue to their attention. Good work, Katie.

Katie Cramer said...

Thanks, Honor! I hope you're staying warm today. I'm home because the university is closed today. I'm missing an all-day meeting, darnit! Alas, it will have to be made up ... Stay warm and cozy!