As some of you know, I have a few animals roaming around. I have a small tribe of goat, mostly boys after this season's kidding but I do have a couple of senior does that I milk each year. I haven't always had goats, in fact they are relatively new to me. A couple of years ago, a friend of ours asked if we had room for some new critters. Asking my partner if she would like a new critter is like asking Hound Dog if she smells anything. SO...we adopted a tribe of six goats. We didn't know a thing about them. We assumed that they would make great weed eaters so we stuck them over at the mother-in-law's house and sort of forgot about them for a couple of months. Then the mother-in-law called and insisted that we come get them as they had eaten her trees. I thought she was nuts but they did in fact eat her trees, as far up as their lips could reach. So we hauled them home, (it's only across the street) and put them in a nice pasture with a big bale of hay. In two months they hadn't touched the bale and all of the bushes in the pasture were gone. Goats aren't really weed eaters, they aren't grazers like sheep. They are browsers, they like bushes and trees better than grasses. We also didn't think about reproduction. We knew that only one male was intact, the other was a wether (fixed male.) We didn't know gestation periods, breeding periods, birthing positions....nothing, we knew nothing. I did notice that the buck was getting rather stinky and had this odd behavior of peeing on his face. As it turns out goats, like most animals have babies if you don't do something to stop it. My partner came in after feeding one day and asked me what a pregnant goat looked like. I was guessing that they would look fat. Well the next day we ended with two babies on the ground and does in milk. It was an unexpected rush into the world of raw milk.
Never in my life did I think that I would be trekking down to the barn twice a day to milk goats. Here I am though, the milking queen. I have always been a milk drinker. I like it more than Pepsi. Since making the decision to milk my girls I have become a quiet advocate for raw milk. I tell my friends and family what wonderful stuff raw milk is. Some of them tell me that I'm becoming too pushy on the subject and that pasteurization was started for a reason. I agree with them on both points. I am pushy but just because someone sees that aspect of my character doesn't mean that I should change. And....pasteurization was started for a reason, it is still used for good reason however, sometimes those reasons are not good for everyone. I also believe that I should have the right to choose between pasteurized milk and raw milk. Here in Colorado it is not that clear cut. I can not go to the grocery and buy raw milk. In fact the goat's milk that I find in the store is nothing like what comes out of my goats. It is illegal to sell raw milk in Colorado, instead many ranchers have to sell "shares" of their herd to provide others with raw milk. I find it disturbing that I can buy heroin here in my county easier than raw milk. Several years ago the kiddo's father and I noticed that whenever she ate ice cream or had more than one glass of milk with a meal, she always ended up "not feeling good." Ever since using raw milk she has been feeling great! Maybe raw milk is not for everyone, but it is for me an my family. Each year I wait in eager anticipation for my does to kid so I can again enjoy the benefits of milk on my own ranch. Here is a link to a website that lists the benefits of raw milk, http://www.raw-milk-facts.com/raw_milk_health_benefits.html. Maybe one of you will be a quiet advocate with me! Actually I just wanted all of you to know about RAW MILK! Come by the ranch anytime, we can make cheese!
5 comments:
I have a srupid question for you- what do the babies drink? Do you milk the mothers and bottle feed the kids or allow the babies to drink from the mother and milk the mothers, thus increasing their supply (so you have some and the babies have some)?
I've always wondered!
I allow the kids to nurse off of mom. We milk the moms..usually only once a day until the kids are weaned, at about 10 weeks. We've had to feed a couple of bottle babies this year. One lost her mom as another kid was retained and after a big vet bill and three days the old girl died on me. The other kid's mom was NEW and was in shock from it all I guess. We had taken the little guy to the house to dry him off and when we brought him back she just forgot who he was. I always try and milk mom or at least another doe and bottle feed the kids with that. I don't like using milk replacer. When the babies are weaned I milk twice per day. Gosh that was a long drawn out answer...
I looked up the benefits of raw milk and I am surprised we don't hear more about it. I would like to try goat's milk. A grocery store in town sells canned goat's milk, but it is very expensive for the size of the can. Thanks for all the information about goats, raw milk and government regulation. Your post is interesting. My sister gave me some hand soap made with goat's milk. It is very soft and creamy. It lathers well too. I don't know where she bought it. It is a luxary item and I feel pampered when I use it.
DON'T Drink The canned goat's milk! BLECH! Where do you live, Honor? I love my goat's milk! Beware...Beware of the canned goat's milk! I love to make soap. I've been experimenting with some unusual recipes lately! Makes me feel sort of mad scientistish! I'd love to send you some soap! I get a special thrill when I go into the post office!
Dawn, what a fabulously enlightening post!! I always learn so much from you. Thank you! By the way, we're still using your awesome goat soap, and Honor's right -- it lathers beautifully, it rinses clean, and it smells so light and fresh and airy ... it smells sort of creamy too. It does feel luxurious. I'm impressed that you and your family have learned so much along the way in your goat-raising adventures.
Do you ever sing "lay--ee--odle--lay--ee--odle--lay--hee-hoo" like in the Sound of Music?
Post a Comment