I don't post recipes very often, but I thought I'd share this tasty recipe from a cookbook I recieved from a colleague back in May. I LOVE this stuff, and it's perfect for summer dining -- flavorful, nutritious, and light. Enjoy!
Tabbouleh (from Ina Garten's Barefoot Contessa: Family Style)
• The cookbook calls for chicken breast, but I just make it without meat.
1 ½ cups boiling water
1 cup bulgur wheat
¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (2 lemons)
• I just used lime juice from a bottle
Olive oil
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 cup minced scallions, white and green parts (1 bunch)
1 cup chopped fresh mint leaves (2 bunches)
1 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley (1 bunch)
1 hothouse cucumber, unpeeled, halved lengthwise, seeded, and medium diced
• I just used a regular cucumber
2 cups halved cherry tomatoes
In a heat-proof bowl, pour the boiling water over the bulgur wheat. Add the lemon (or lime) juice, ¼ cup olive oil, and 1 teaspoon of salt. Stir. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and allow the bulgur to stand at room temperature for about an hour.
Add the scallions, mint, parsley, cucumber, tomatoes, 1 teaspoon of salt, and 1 teaspoon of pepper. Season to taste and serve immediately or cover and refrigerate. The flavors will improve as it sits.
• The recipe actually calls for another teaspoon of salt, but I think it’s too salty with 3 teaspoons.
• This will stay tasty in your fridge for about a week; it makes A LOT of food, so I usually take it in my lunch all week ... even if I've made it for friends and family. There's that much left over.
3 comments:
This is a delicious salad. I made it on Monday and we still have plenty left over. I found everything I needed at Dillons here in Hays. Thanks for sharing.
Sounds good. Thanks for sharing! Found you through Hannah.
Wahoo! Glad you enjoyed the salad, Honor, and that you were able to find all the ingredients so easily. :)
Welcome to the blog, Diane!
Post a Comment