Sunday, August 9, 2009

Tired but satisfied

Hey, everyone! Honor and Christine, thanks for the comments on my previous post and your encouragement!

Honor, you haven't posted for awhile. How are your physical fitness and nutrition goals going? Any new vegan recipes you'd like to recommend to us? Have you been able to get some swimming in? While my mom and dad visited last week, Mom and I visited the YMCA every morning (Dad and Trent took walks around the hilly neighborhood in the evenings, while Trent recovered from his shoulder surgery), and Mom's new goal is to get up on the weekdays, and rather than reading the paper for 45 minutes, she's going to head over to the gym for a workout. Woohoo! Perhaps she'll post her experiences on the blog ...

Christine, way to go on your backpacking adventures! I can't imagine carrying a fifty-pound pack while hiking in Yosemite. It's hard enough just to navigate rough terrain with just my own body-weight, let alone an extra fifty pounds. How do you train for that?? You need to do a posting and teach us what you know. By that same token, you and I are going to sign up for the Acworth triathlon next summer (well, actually maybe in May, so we can make sure we get a spot), and we're going to be virtual training buddies, okay?

Dawn and Laura, what's up with you two???

My race went well today. The official race results aren't posted yet, but my goal was go under 1 hr. and 30 minutes, and I went 1:27, according to my watch. I went out hard on the swim and got away from the pack (not first, mind you) and caught up with the other packs of swimmers who were in earlier heats (older competitors go before younger competitors). The bike portion felt pretty good, although my gears weren't shifting very smoothly, and my front tire seems to be misaligned after my last "tune-up" at Dick's. Booo. I was dog tired by the run, but I kept moving, and I think I did that 5K in about 31 minutes--not too bad for me after a swim and a bike ride.

I was sweating so much that even after replenishing with water and Gatorade, I was still five pounds lighter after the race than I was last night before bed. I'm still drinking. :)

I hope all of you are well. Back to work tomorrow. And a new workout plan, now that the tri is over.

5 comments:

Honor Louise said...

You did the 5k in 31 minutes. Wow! Take care and keep drinking. Being dehydrated is not fun. Yes, I know I sound like a fuss budget Aunt. I am very proud of you. Nobody in our family has been as fit as you since the 1800's. You are an inspiration to everyone who cares about their health. I care about my health, but I could never keep up with you, or your Mom. Congratulations on a great tri. It sounds like you met your goals in spite of the poor bike tune up. You worked very hard and the results prove it.

Honor Louise said...

This is the time of the year when I feel my best. I should feel good until the last part of Fall. Then my RA kicks in. My goal is pretty simple: Be active every day. I try to walk a mile each day if the weather permits. I sometimes ride a stationary bike. I do stretching exercises and I have started some strength training exercises. I have not gone swimming this year. I don't have a good excuse so enough said about that.

I think I am meeting my nutrition goals. I lost 20 pounds earlier this year and so far I have kept off the weight. I lost 20 pounds last year too, for a total of 40 pounds. The weight comes off slowly so I have to be patient. My Rheumatologist is pleased with my progress.

My goal is to stay active, try to maintain my weight, and hopefully lose a few more pounds. I recently discovered that I am only 4" 9" tall. I thought I was at least 5 feet tall. I think this means I am still over weight. Sigh.

The good news is, that at this moment, I feel great. When I feel good, I get more done each day. That makes me feel very happy.

Katie Cramer said...

Honor, you're a rock star with your commitment to your health. I'm really proud of you!!

I think your approach to physical fitness is really smart. Being active every day (or almost every day) is a fantastic goal. It makes fitness part of your lifestyle, rather than some chore you do sporadically.

Regarding the swimming--if you're not in the mood for it, don't do it. It sounds like walking, biking, and stretching have been great activities for you. Oh, and strength training, too--that's wonderful!! Bravo to you! It sounds like you could become the next Fiddler triathlete!!

I'm glad you're feeling good, and I hope the RA doesn't kick in too terribly as the weather cools. I hope it doesn't kick in at all!! Does your lower weight mean that it shouldn't be as bad? Does weight affect rheumatoid arthritis?

FYI--I think you could totally keep up with me and my mom. You and I have the same fitness goals -- a little bit of activity most days of the week. :)

Honor Louise said...

Weight definitely affects arthritis. The joints wear out faster if a person is overweight. When the joints become deformed, surgery is required. Special equipment might be necessary to keep a patient mobile. It is not just about weight, it is also about how quickly the disease progresses. The joints in my elbows have been affected, so I cannot lift heavy things easily.

I have finally managed to talk to all your Aunts about the triathalon. Nobody believes they could keep up with you. No way. No how. We are all very impressed with your performance. There is only one ROCK STAR and that is YOU.

Katie Cramer said...

Honor, you will always be a rock star. And don't you forget it!