Hello, my name is Honor. I am new to this site. My niece, Katie,invited me to join. I am not tough or buff. In fact, I am a fat 60 year old woman who is fighting gravity. The question is, How do you overcome a 35 year old sedentary life style? Throughout my adult life I thought that food was a good friend and exercise was for fanatics. Now I realize that exercise defends and protects this temple we call our body. I started walking every day last year after my husband and I moved to Hays, Kansas. Near us is a nature trail that people of all ages use. The nature trail is by the hospital and wellness center. Many people my age use the trail because they have had a heart attack. Walking is part of their rehabilitation. Diabetes runs in our family. Walking helps lower blood sugar. It also lowers stress. Walking keeps the joints, tendons and ligaments in working condition. I have arthritis and I know that every day I move means tomorrow will be a better day.
I also attend an exercise class a few times a week. It is geared toward seniors. We do a lot of stretching exercises that help tone the body.
The last few days we have seen a lot of tornadic activity in our area. Even so, I made it a point to walk the nature trail. My motivation was this blog. I wanted to express my interest in fitness knowing I was making some kind of effort. It is tempting to do nothing when your body hurts. Joining a fitness blog might help me develop a better fitness routine. So I am proud to be part of Tough and Buff.
2 comments:
Hi Honor Louise,
Better to have bloomed late than never at all. It really is true what they say about "move it or lose it"...I see patients every day who have "lost it" just by virtue of choosing the couch over a stroll in the neighborhood!!
Dedicating time on a regular basis to fitness activities will help most of us maintain our health and independence well into the Medicare years....keep movin'!
EllenE
Woo hoo! Welcome aboard, Honor! I'm glad you've joined the blog! It sounds like you're doing great things with your walking and your fitness classes. Way to go! I'm impressed by your dedication and your mindset. You can do it!
Post a Comment