Sunday, May 18, 2008

Setting Goals

With some encouragement I recently spent four mornings at the "Y" with our daughter Katie M. She is an early riser and works out several days a week. As a visitor, I made the effort to participate.....walking, weights, yoga,and swimming. My goal was to be able to fit into my work wardrobe when vacation ended....a goal challenged by Katie's newly developed culinary skills....her "piece de resistance": a creamed cheese/butter frosted applesauce sheet cake made from scratch ...not a crumb left by day two.

On the final day of our visit I skipped the workout, sleeping late instead. Gee, I'd already been 4 days in a row! As I packed Katie began probing into my usual workout routine ....2-3 days a week of walking and weights...maybe a total of 45 minutes a session. Kinda lazy! But I tell myself "not bad for someone my age" and "at least I'm moving!"

She challenged me to workout more frequently with more variety....swim more than once a year, etc. So today, Sunday, I decide to rise to the challenge..."I'll take a walk." It doesn't hurt to have a beautiful morning to set the tone....my husband and I headed for the Plaza...a twenty minute drive but worth it.

We meandered along the paved route that follows Brush Creek enjoying the fountains and sunshine. En route we encountered joggers and beagle walkers and beggars. What contrasts in this swank condo-studded shoppers paradise. At one point, we wandered past The Classic Cup outdoor patio; coffee seekers wearing designer labels and high heels (satin & sequins, no hair out of place at 8:30 am!) queued for tables. At that point we looked like beggars in our Target tennis shoes and cargo pants. We kept moving....Marshall spied a lovely formal garden dedicated to a prominent KC family...we enjoyed the flowery show!

After an hour or so we returned to the car and headed home.....refreshed by the challenge to increase our activity.....maybe I'll walk to the library later.
EllenE.

1 comment:

Katie Cramer said...

Woo hoo! Go, Mom and Dad! The Plaza is a fabulous place to walk. :) I'm looking forward to hearing more about your swims, too. See if you can get Dad back into the water.

My colleague Jen is starting to incorporate lap swimming into her workouts, and I think one of our students has been encouraging her to do a triathlon in October.

Glad you joined the blog, Mom. :)