Thursday, May 15, 2008

Workout Routines

I always think it's interesting to see what other people do on a regular basis to keep fit or to train for a race/competition of some sort. So, my question for all of you is, what do you do??

What's your workout schedule like?

When are you most likely to work out? When are you most motivated?

What do you do for your workouts? How long do you work out?

What do you like (and dislike) about working out?

Here are my thoughts on this subject ... For the most part, I enjoy working out. It makes me feel sort of empowered. When I was younger, I swam on a competitive team, and I did pretty well. But I was always afraid to try other sports. Aside from weight training after school during the off-season and some dryland training before swim workouts, I didn't feel very confident as an athlete out of the water. In college I started running and cycling a bit so I could compete in a couple of triathlons. Then, as a middle school teacher in Kansas City, KS, I coached the cross country team, so running became a natural part of my routine. I also played co-ed softball with my hubby and learned how to catch, throw, and hit balls. Woo woo. Catching line drives hit by men is one of my top ten most empowering experiences.

I like the process of training for races and competitions almost as much as I enjoy the race/competition itself. Training for my first (and only) half marathon in 2005-2006 while completing my dissertation and going on the job market is also one of my top ten most empowering experiences. I'll never train for a race like that again because it killed my knees, but I truly enjoyed the process of pushing myself on every long run to go a bit further than the week before and then charting my increasing mileage.

For the past year, I've been just working out as part of my daily routine. I haven't trained for anything since the Sprint for Cancer 10K in April 2007. But now I feel the need to set a goal, and the women's triathlon in Acworth on August 10 sounds like a reasonable goal (as long as I eventually purchase a bike--heh heh).

So, I've revamped my workout routine to include cycling on stationary bikes at my gym, and I've given up a third day of swimming each week in order to make room for this change. My current routine looks like this:

Sun: 60 min. bootcamp class at the YMCA (when he's off work, my hubby does this with me)

Mon: cycling and running (the distance of each is increasing each week) + push-ups and crunches

Tues: 3000 yard swim (about 65 min.)

Wed: strength training, 2-3 mile run

Thurs: 3000 yard swim

Fri: strength training, cycling

Sat: rest

I stretch after every workout for about 10-15 minutes as well.

Write back, and tell me what your workout routine is. I'm curious. :)

2 comments:

Janet said...

My workout schedule is irregular. Some weeks I am dedicated and doing well then there are times not so good. I want to make exercise a daily habit like brushing teeth. I run two miles outdoors but when anything but ideal weather occur then exercise becomes nonexistent. I am most likely to work out when my clothes fit too tight.

When I was younger, I didn’t participate in sports, so I feel a little behind with shaping my body the way I want it to look. Bryan influenced me to take up running. When we started dating we would run together for fun in cemeteries - yes this is odd but we’re nice people. I’ve participated in a couple of 5Ks and that was fun so maybe I can do another race this year or next... I don’t plan to do a 10K or a triathlon. Biking sounds great though.

I love the way I feel after a workout – nothing like a really good sweat. It makes me feel like I accomplished something and it sets a good example for Brennon and Padraig. My big challenge is sparing the time. I think of all the other things that need my attention. At times I get discouraged too. I tell myself that no exercise will keep me from my goals. And speaking of goals, I want tight and tone arms! Please advise me on this. I have upgraded to 8 lb weights. Here’s what I am doing now 3-4 times a week:
Bicep Curls – 2 sets of 20 reps
Tripcep Extensions - 2 sets of 15 reps
Over Head Press – 2 set of 15 reps
Bent Over Rows – 1 set of 30 reps

I heard that you need to run at least 30 miles a week in order to see results… Did you hear that?

Thanks Katie for putting this together. I am really excited to have a support group for fitness. I need all the encouragement I can get.

Katie Cramer said...

Hi, Janet! It's great to hear from you!!

Regarding the 30 miles per week of running to see results, I think that's a bunch of crap. That's 5 miles, six days a week. No way, man! You could run a couple of miles three times a week, and you'd be doing great. :) Plus, maybe one day of walking (or biking, if that floats your boat).

As far as your upper body weight routine goes, here are my thoughts:

I like the variety of exercises you're doing. You're working your biceps, triceps, back, and shoulders. Way to go!

To really see results, you need to lift weights that are heavy enough that you are straining to lift them at 12-15 reps, so it looks like you might want to use heavier weights for your bicep curls and bent over rows. You might try 10-12 pounds for those.

You can also vary the way you lift the weights in order to work each muscle group differently. For example, you could do hammer curls or reverse bicep curls to add variety to your routine.

Here are two exercises you could add to your routine:

1. Bent arm lateral raise for your deltoids.

2. Chest flys (sp?) for your chest.

Here's how you do them:

Bent arm lateral raise: Stand up straight, arms at your sides, holding 8 lb. weights. Bend your elbows so that they form a ninety degree angle, the weights will be in front of you. Lift your arms from the elbows out to the sides, keeping your forearm in a straight line from your elbow (the weights will raise, too). This will work your delts. As you get stronger, you can do this with straight arms.

Chest flys: Lay on your back, arms straight up over your chest, holding the weights. Slowly, drop your straight arms out to the sides toward the floor. Then, bring them back up to the starting position.

Hope all that made sense.

I'll keep my eyes open for some good websites with upper body strengthening moves on them. :)