red to swim. I again told him that I didn't think it would be a problem. He stressed several more times that LG training was not easy and that I should really think about it before I pay my money, as the fee is non-refundable. I told him that even though I hadn't been swimming for awhile that I think I will be able to get through the class without too much trouble. I asked why he was so concerned about my abilities and the kid said that I was the oldest in the class and the last person in their 30's that tried it failed miserably. When did I get so old?
Inspired by the nine-year-old daughter of a family friend, I have committed to raising $2,000.00 for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society this spring, as I train for an Olympic distance triathlon (my first of that distance!) with Team in Training. I look forward to this journey!
Saturday, May 2, 2009
Adventures of the old.
I have decided plop myself into a real pool. I joined a Master's Swim team in Denver called SQUID. I can't drive to Denver everyday for practice so I figured that I had better find a real pool to swim in a little closer to home. The nearest pool is in Manitou Springs about a 40 minute drive. I jetted down to find out hours and cost and learned that they were hiring lifeguards. Employees of the pool receive free membership. I figured that I had better at least get a part-time job there, so I applied. The HR person seems relieved that I wasn't some 15 year old that had just completed my LG training and hired me without even seeing me in the pool. Since I haven't renewed my LG training, she told me to go sign up for the class, it starts in a week. I zipped on down to the pool to sign up. I filled out a short bit of paperwork and handed it back to the young man that was at the desk. The kid looked at my form, looked at me and then asked if I thought I would be able to meet the requirements for the class. Puzzled, I asked what he meant. He said that I would be required to swim 300 meters before each class. If could not do that I would not be allowed to participate. I told him that I didn't think that would be a problem. He explained how long 300 meters was and the strokes that I would be requi
red to swim. I again told him that I didn't think it would be a problem. He stressed several more times that LG training was not easy and that I should really think about it before I pay my money, as the fee is non-refundable. I told him that even though I hadn't been swimming for awhile that I think I will be able to get through the class without too much trouble. I asked why he was so concerned about my abilities and the kid said that I was the oldest in the class and the last person in their 30's that tried it failed miserably. When did I get so old?
red to swim. I again told him that I didn't think it would be a problem. He stressed several more times that LG training was not easy and that I should really think about it before I pay my money, as the fee is non-refundable. I told him that even though I hadn't been swimming for awhile that I think I will be able to get through the class without too much trouble. I asked why he was so concerned about my abilities and the kid said that I was the oldest in the class and the last person in their 30's that tried it failed miserably. When did I get so old?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Ha! Just wait until that teenager turns 30! Then it won't seem so old!
I completed my LG at 10 weeks preg and the ripe old age of 28. The on;ly difference was that I kept flaoting to the top! It made saving the guard difficult... and we all kept laughing because I was my own inner tube! But if I can do it then, you can do it now!
I envy your swimming ability. I am sure you make most of us amateur swimmers look like cream puffs. (Yeah Cream Puffs!) It is hard for me to believe that someone in their 30's would be considered old. But I am twice that age. I swim the length of the pool in phases. I'm the one that teen needs to worry about! Someday he will know that 30 is not old.
Go, Dawn!!!! You kick ass. I can't wait to hear about the teenager's reaction when you hop in the pool and swim for miles without even breathing hard.
Ha! The pictures you include in your posts are always hilarious.
Is that you? :)
Post a Comment