(Tastes a bit like lasagne and a bit like manacotti but with less fat!)
Modified from the "More with Less" Cookbook
Cook and drain according to package directions 10 lasagne noodles. I used half whole wheat and half white.
Meanwhile, combine:
2 tablespoons grated parm cheese
1 - 2 cups cottage cheese
1/2 tea nutmeg
In another bowl:
4 cups (about 2 16 ounce cans) of plain tomato sauce
2 cloves of garlic, minced or crushed. (I'm out so I used garlic powder)
1/2 tea basil
1/2 t ea oregano
1/2 t. marjoram
Rinse and drain the noddle and cool until you can handle them. Spread about 1 tablespoon of the cheese mixture on the noodles and roll up. Place in a greased 9 by 6 (??? not a large casserole dish but the smaller ones!) dish, seam side down. Sprinkle 2 cups of cheese (I used mozerella) on top and the sauce. Bake at 350 degrees for one hour.
Additions:
According to the real recipe, you can chop spinach or kale or swiss chard or the like, steam and add to the cheese filling. You could also add 1/4-1/2 pound of ground beef or turkey to the filling. I bet chopped or shredded squash, peppers, tomatos, eggplanet or the like would be yummy too.
Most of my cookbooks are in storage. For some reason, I left this one out. The health information in it is interesting and it's a bit heavy on the fake dairy products, like dried milk and marjorin. (The orginal copy right is 1976.) However, I like that the recipes are simple, easy and pretty econmical. I made their "no knead" bread, which turned out great, and have dinner rolls rising right now.
5 comments:
Sounds delicious. There is not a lot of salt in this recipe; which I like. It is also vegetarian and I like that too. That dash of nutmeg is an interesting addition. I will probably add spinach to it when I make it. MMMMM Dinner Rolls. Bread is my weakness. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
Sounds INCREDIBLE! I'm a sucker for any kind of pasta. I think your suggestion of squash is awesome! I'm gonna make this the first chance i get. It will have to be when my partner is gone or when I have time to make something different for her. She can't handle a lot of red sauces, bad tummy! It's making me hungry and I've been eating all day!
Lol, sorry about making you eat!
I add a tiny bit of nutmeg and cinnamon to stove top mac and cheese. It really does make a difference in flavor! But, then, what isn't good with nutmeg and cinnamon? ;)
Honor, I was going to do it with spinach or kale but I didn't have any on hand. I was wondering if frozen but cooked, drained and squeezed dry spinach would work?
I think frozen spinach, cooked and drained, would work in this recipe. It takes a little more time because you have to get rid of all the liquid in the spinach. I think any of the vegetables you mentioned in the recipe would be great. My husband's grandmother made a baked cabbage dish which she seasoned with nutmeg. It was delicious. I should try to remember to use nutmeg more often in my cooking. It kicks the flavor up a notch.
Wahoo! Thanks for sharing this recipe, Laura. I also plan to try it out.
I've been eating homemade chili with half a baked potato for dinner most evenings (hey, it's cheap, easy, and it's got more protein than I normally consume), and now I think it's time for a change. We're heading to the grocery store tonight, so I'm writing down these ingredients!!
Post a Comment