Last evening was the first class. I arrived about 15 minutes early, fresh (not so much) from a wild land fire that my partner and I had been sitting on all day. I had all my EMT garb on and smelled like an ashtray. I was trying to fix my goggles as I walked in, so my head was down and I wasn't paying much attention to my surroundings. That's always a good attribute in a guard...don't pay attention. As I'm trying to thread a piece of string through the itty bitty hole of the nose piece, some young girl grabs me and tells me that the victim is on the deck. WHAT? Apparently one of the girls from the swim team had passed out and 911 had been called. I just happened to show up before anyone else. I checked out the swimmer, had a laugh with the EMTs and the Firefighters that were really responding to the call and headed to join the rest of my class. My class, is...hmm ...well..YOUNG! Three of the girls won't be in class on the last day because they have to graduate from high school, one of the boys just got his learning permit to drive, and another girl father had to drive her and wait for three hours to take her home. The oldest participant other than myself is a 19 y/o boy who said he was taking the class because he thought his girlfriend would like it! Was I ever that young? I'm pretty sure the instructor is in her early 20's. The instructor got our stories and then told us to head to the water for the pre-requisites. She split ups up into two
lanes and explained the order of the swim--100 free--100 breast--100 mix, breast and free. She had to explain circle swimming more than once to a couple of the girls. I got plopped in a lane with three boys and one other girl. I opted to go last, thinking that my happy fat would weigh me down. I haven't really been in a pool for over two years. I knew that I could finish the 300 but I figured that I would be really slow and pretty wiped out. NOT SO! I lapped everyone in my lane at least once, one of the boys twice! WHOHOO! I can't wait until this evening when the little dork that took my money is on duty as a guard. Soon I will be fighting with Dara for he Milk Ad! Ok maybe not!
4 comments:
Go, Dawn!!!! You're my hero in the pool. I bet it felt great to get in the water and smoke those fools.
Smoke on the waaaaaaater ... (guitar riff)
Keep us posted on your classes. You're such a rock star.
Hey, did those CDs actually work? If not, I will re-burn and re-send. :)
Look at those abs on Dara. And she's 40?
KATIE! The CDs worked great...I've been listening to them on my way to class each night. Jolene is gonna be excited. Thanks so much for thinking of me!
Yahoo! Sometimes the darn things won't play after I burn them. I tested them on my home stereo, and they worked, but when I tested them in my car on the way to the post office, they didn't. Of course, I sent them anyway (because I was lazy and hoping to be lucky). Looks like I got lucky. Yay!
Post a Comment