Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Bean Chili (crock pot)

It's Lent and I get really tired of the same ole cheese pizza and mac and cheese every Friday, all Friday. My poor husband realized that I like to experiment with vegitarian dishes during Lent, which makes it MORE of a sacrfice for him! :) This bean chili is awesome and very filling. It doubles easily and goes over well with crowds. As an added bonus, it is a slow cooker recipe!

Th beans make it filling, with lots of protien and fiber!

1 15 ounce can of garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
1 15 ounce can of red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
2 14 ounce cans of diced tomatoes OR two large tomatoes, chopped
1 large onion, chopped. I used dried onions
1/2 cup of sweet or green pepper, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2-3 teaspoons of chili powder
1/2 tea. dried oregano
1/2 tea. ground red pepper, optional
1 cup pasta, like elbow

1. Combined the first ten ingrediants in a crock pot and stir. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or high for 2-2.5 hours
2. Add in the cooked pasta. Stir and serve!

We ate this over cornbread with a little cheese and no fat sour cream. I used bow tie pasta, which was what I had on hand. Honestly, it didn't need the pasta but is good for some extra carbs. However, poured over the cornbread with a little sour cream and cheese... DEEEEVIIIINNNE!

2 comments:

Honor Louise said...

This sounds delicious. It is a meal you could enjoy any time of the year. Not much prep time involved either.

Katie Cramer said...

I love crock pot recipes!! And this one sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing this, Laura!!