Saturday, March 28, 2009

Womens Health Care Issues

Here is some information I read on BlogsByWomenBlog concerning health care for women. It is important information if Tough and Buff readers have family members who could be vulnerable to having a stroke; especially if those loved ones are female. A study done by Michigan State University between 1995 and 2008 revealed that 30 per cent of female stroke patients did not receive the same level of care as men. This is eye opening because 60 per cent of all stroke victims are women. As a result, women are more apt to die or/and suffer problems from an acute stroke.

One of the main reasons more problems occur for women stroke victims is that women are more likely to experience delays in the emergency room. Time matters. The sooner a stroke victim sees a Doctor and an image is taken of the brain the better. It is also important that a stroke patient be given tPA, tissue plasminogen activator, so that clots formed in arteries can be dissolved. The study also shows that women are presented with fewer treatment options such as blood thinners, clot busting drugs, cholesterol treatment,aspirin and prevention of blood clots.

No reasons were offered as to why women were given poorer care. I can tell Tough and Buff readers that my mother was often treated with indifference by the medical establishment once she reached a certain age. The prevailing attitude was that she is old and bad things are bound to happen. "Old age catches up to people," was her Doctor's answer to almost every problem my mother faced. My sisters who lived closest to my mom were strong advocates for her. For this I was grateful. I helped when I could. I can remember spending long hours in the emergency room waiting for approval for my mother to be admitted for serious health problems. I write this so that readers will be aware of what problems their parents might face some day.

Some symptoms of stroke are lethargy, drooping on one side of the face, slurred speech, inability to raise arms, incontinence and loss of bowel control. If a loved one exhibits these symptoms, then please take them to the emergency room immediately.

2 comments:

Katie Cramer said...

Thanks for sharing this important information, Honor. And thanks for sharing the challenges Grandma faced as she attempted to care for herself and as you, my mom, and your sisters attempted to advocate on her behalf.

It's mind-boggling and frightening that women are not receiving care that equals that provided to men. I wonder if it has anything to do with the gender of the physicians caring for them. I don't really know if the gender disparity still exists in the medical profession, but I'm guessing it does.

Do male doctors do a better job caring for male patients? Hmmmm ...

Honor Louise said...

I think You raise an important issue about male doctors giving better treatment to male patients. That is an interesting idea. Maybe we need more female doctors so women can obtain quality care. And all Doctors need to be better educated about gender preferences and gerontalogy issues. Thanks for your comments.