Monday, March 9, 2009

My Pseudo Plan!

OkeyDokey...Since Katie knows I have nothing better to do, rather I choose not to do what I need to do, I'll spew a little wordage on this here blog about my healthy intentions.

In the last 4 years I have put on about twenty extra pounds. I deny the unhealthiness of it all and refer to it as "happy fat." I have decided it is now time to trim that fat, happy or not. So over the weekend while eating cookie dough (RAW!) I made a mental list of my eating habits that might have led to my "happy fat." I should have made a hard copy list as I have forgotten many of them already. Maybe my "HF" has put pressure on my gray matter too! All the more reason to trim. Anywho...here are the beginnings of my pseudo plan.

  1. I will cook breakfast each morning instead of sleeping for an extra 20 minutes and swinging by Evergreen Station for a Pepsi and chocolate donuts that are probably covered with something that looks and sort of tastes like chocolate but is really a one molecule away from plastic type of chocolate. After all, I do have 17 laying hens, and a freezer full of organic meat! I figure this has a level of difficulty around 8.2798 of 10. I really like Pepsi and CRAVE pseudo chocolate.
  2. I will quit asking the Shelly to swing by some fast food joint on her way home from school. Again I have a freezer full of healthier alternatives. Truly by the time the fast food makes the 45 minute drive home its not that tasty, its after 10p.m. and for some alien reason I feel that I need to consume it all for fear of hurting the Shelly's feelings. All of these reasons are ASSinine. Not only will I be a more healthy person BUT...I will have more money to spend on really important things like Little Golden Books. I believe this has a difficulty level of 7.45768 of 10. So many times I run around the ranch and forget the time and fail to fix myself something of nutritional value and find it easier to have the Shelly pick something up and I don't have to do dishes.
  3. Instead of starting the fuel hog TomTruck every morning and driving the 500 yards to the barn to check for kids/lambs/calves, I will WALK! I will walk back up to the house too! I think this should be pretty easy, maybe a level of difficulty of 1.98766 of 10. Sometimes it does actually snow here and I don't like cold weather so much but I do have all the necessary equipment to walk through it if need be.

Okay, so its not much but I figured that I would start slow. No reason to get over zealous and lose all the "HF" in a couple of months! I'm going to stick to this pseudo plan for two weeks, at that point I will assess my progress and add more!

6 comments:

Katie Cramer said...

I LOVE your pseudo plan, Dawn. I love the fact that you're going to give it a couple of weeks and then assess your progress--very research-y of you! I also like your level of difficulty scores. If this were the Olympics, the judges would be impressed by the risks you're taking in the various events of round one.

It really sounds like you have a lot of tasty food stuffs around your house. Do you like to cook? Do you have any easy recipes you could shoot my way? I am a not-so-good cook, and I am a not-so-eager cook, so most of the food I consume is easily prepared (e.g., tacos) and not very adventurous.

You know, regarding your breakfast plan, you could sleep in an extra fifteen minutes and then just eat cold cereal and milk--no cooking involved. My cereal du jour right now is Grape Nuts. I usually let it sit in milk for a few minutes before I attempt to chew; I don't want any of my fillings to pop out.

Thanks for sharing your game plan, Dawn. You cahn doo eeeeet.

Honor Louise said...

I like your plan and I love the way you wrote it. I love colas in the morning. I quit drinking them altogether for awhile, but now I indulge. I eat cold cereal in the morning and/with fruit. It is pretty satisfying. I do not like washing dishes either. Buying prepared food is tempting when you are tired. Just make simple meals in the evening. They can save you time and be enjoyable.

Dawn said...

Thank you KT and Honor Lousie for your encouraging words. I don't mind cooking at all. I love to cook, I would be happy to send recipes your way Katie! I'm not sure how healthy they are. Living on the ranch leads to lots of old timey ranch food, full of lard and heavy cream. I have tried with quite a bit of success not to cook with processed type box foods. I even bake my own bread a couple of times per week. We have milk goats so when ever the girls are in milk, I have fresh raw milk which I love. I'm addicted to milk. That's my problem with cereal....I milk in the mornings and it takes a couple of hours for the milk to chill to my liking. I have tried saving some from the previous day but as I said---> I LOVE MILK. I make my own butter, cheese, and soap from my goat's milk. In the off season I will only buy one brand of milk, after having my own milk I have UN-developed a taste for store bought milk. So most mornings when I do cook, I have a couple of (fresh) eggs and ham or bacon. On occasion we have steak and eggs. I have decided that I could always eat that cereal as an evening meal when Shelly is in class. It is easy to fix, readily available and doesn't require a huge amount of cookware to prepare! AWESOME idea don't you think? I should really get up earlier anyway. Most days we sleep until we wake up, rarely relying on an alarm clock. Now that I have so many animals that are kidding/lambing/calving I should be up earlier anyway to check on them. I tried to go without a Pepsi all day yesterday but ended up with a re-bound headache and I caved! I had to get a Mtn. Dew instead as the joint up the way was out of Pepsi. I opted for a couple of cups of tea this morning and it all seems to be going well so far. I do wish I had more fruit in the winter months. The nearest grocery is in Woodland Park about 40 minutes away. I usually only shop once per month so the "fresh" stuff runs out quick. I am going to attempt a garden again this summer. With the help of the Shelly and the Bean I might be able to turn my purple thumb green! Thanks again for your comments!

Honor Louise said...

You not only write well you are a human power house. Milking goats, making your own bread, Awesome! I am addicted to dairy. I think that is a GOOD thing.

Katie Cramer said...

Dawn--you really area amazing, keeping up with your work, your farm, and your family. That's a workout in and of itself!

I like your idea about cereal at night. Actually, I've read that breakfast should be the largest meal of the day, and the lightest should be dinner (not sure if that's scientific, or anything).

Speaking of fresh fruits and veggies, I've also read (recently in the NY Times) that frozen fruits and veggies are actually more nutrient rich than their fresh counterparts. Maybe you could stock up on frozen blueberries, broccoli, peas, etc.??

I can't believe you bake your own bread twice a week. Can I come live with you?

Dawn said...

UM--KT...I don't have a FARM! I don't plant chickens in the ground and water them and wait for little beaks to poke through the dirt! I DO have a RANCH! I also walk around in overalls with a piece of straw between my teeth! You are so much fun! Of course you could come live with me!