Saturday, March 14, 2009

Got Milk?

I discovered another blog site that talks about women's issues. One article made the case for consuming a higher dairy intake on a daily basis. The author cited a 7 year study that involved 300,000 men and 200,000 women. Each person in the study consumed at least 1300 milligrams of calcium daily. The result of the 7 year study was that
1300 milligrams of calcium consumed daily was a major factor in reducing the risk of developing ANY type of cancer. It significantly reduced the risk of developing colon cancer and cancer of the digestive system. I think that conclusion is impressive. I like the fact that 500,000 people were part of the study and that the study lasted 7 years.
I always thought dairy products helped strengthen bones. I did not realize it had anything to do with preventing cancer. If you do not like to eat dairy products then calcium tablets are available. Other sources of calcium are spinach, broccoli, and other green leafy vegetables.
One more note. The ages of the people in the study ranged from 50 years of age to 71 years of age. The article pointed out that women become more vulnerable to developing cancer at around age 50.
I have read that women in their 30's need to become more aware of bone health. What you do then to take care of the body will be reflected in your health at age 50.
My favorite dairy product is yogurt. I am not satisfyed with cheap yogurt anymore. I want greek yogurt. It is not very sweet but it is rich and creamy. It is also expensive, so I do not get to indulge very often.

5 comments:

Dawn said...

I've got milk! I absolutely love milk. Love the post!

Katie Cramer said...

According to the US Dept. of Agriculture site I've been using to track my caloric intake, one slice of Swiss cheese or one piece of string cheese (Mozarella) is a serving of dairy. I love cheese, I like milk. I'm going to kick cancer's ass.

Honor Louise said...

It sounds like we are all on the right track! Yeah! Glad you liked the post.

Dawn said...

Hey Honor, I found this site---->
http://www.makeyourownyogurt.com/

I don't know if you are interested in making your own..Looks way too complicated for my feeble backwood brain..but you seem to be one smart cookie. Let me know if it works out!

Honor Louise said...

Thanks for the tip Dawn. I will go to that site and see if making yogurt is a possibility for me.