Saturday, March 28, 2009

Long Week at Work

First off, let me just say that I'm thankful for my job. In this economy, I am even more thankful that my job is secure. Our program continues to grow, so we're actually hiring new faculty members, rather than looking for ways to cut costs.

Of course, with this growth comes increased responsibility ... and increased time at work. This past week, I was at work for at least 10 hours a day, and I still didn't manage to complete all of my responsibilities. I considered bringing a pile of grading home with me this weekend, but decided against that when I thought about how resentful I'd feel giving up my time off in between full work weeks ...

How would I manage this if I were a parent? How do parents of children who are still living at home manage their work, their health/fitness, their personal time, their time with their kids? How does all of that fit together?

One of this blog's authors and I were conversing this week about how those of us without kids (or with kids who are grown and out of the house) get called upon to take on additional responsibility simply because we do not have children at home. We don't get paid more; we don't get tenure any faster; we just get more work. It's not really explicitly stated, it's more of an implied understanding. I understand the importance of spending time with family, but just because I don't have kids doesn't mean I don't have family I want to spend time with instead of taking on extra responsibility at work.

Hmmm, big lightning and house-shaking thunder. I'm going to close before my computer loses power.

7 comments:

Katie Cramer said...

One more thing ... I'm just thinking how high and mighty this post sounds, particularly when I think about people working 6-7 days a week in factories in 3rd world countries. Sorry if my post is offensive.

Honor Louise said...

I don't think you sound offensive. You raise an important issue about division of labor. There are also issues regarding age and work. Sometimes younger employees work longer but they get better assignments. In this economy everyone is working longer hours because fewer people are being hired and employees who resign are not being replaced. Asking an employee to do double duty because he/she is childless is very unfair. I don't like that attitude and share your indignation. I am glad you wrote about it on the blog.

Honor Louise said...

I forgot to tell you I am glad that you decided to leave work at work so you could enjoy the weekend. You need and deserve a break.

Katie Cramer said...

Thanks for your comments, Honor. You make a good point about age discrimination in the work place, although I'd have to say that at my university, it's the older tenured folks who get the sweetest deals when it comes to taking on extra committee work ... I've heard some tenured folks say, "I don't need it. Someone else can do it." They don't need the service work because they've already got tenure, which leaves us untenured folks (who've been told in our annual reviews to cut back on service to focus on our research and publications) to take on extra service to the university. It's an interesting conundrum. Happy Sunday!

Laura said...

I totally get what you are saying. And it's right. While some people have work conflicts due to child care and child care issues, those without children also have work conflicts- whether they are due to aging parents, siblings with problems, spouses who need care, etc.

Conversly, those of us WITH children are sometimes punished. I was fired from my coaching job BECAUSE I have children and one child needed special care (intensly for 9 days, feeding issues for a month and he is just now able to go into group child care).

Solution? I don't know. There needs to be more of a balance and division of labor, acknowleding that each group of people has their own special needs,etc.

Laura said...

Duuuh- Your observations were right! Sorry if that was phrased wrong!

Katie Cramer said...

Hey, Laura. I didn't know that your coaching didn't work out because you needed time to care for your child. Sheesh! I agree that balance is the key -- both in our personal and professional lives. :)