Friday, March 13, 2009

Food Pyramid

I've been having so much fun reading everyone else's posts--thanks, you guys, for joining (or revisiting) the blog. It just warms my heart on this cold, rainy Friday, the 13th.

Okay, so here's what I've been doing this week. I wrote that one of my Lenten goals is to start consuming my food more purposefully and with a bit less abandon. I think I've been doing pretty good. And here's what's helping me to be more thoughtful about my food consumption:

http://www.mypyramidtracker.gov/planner/launchPage.aspx

It's a food planner from the Department of Agriculture. I think you're actually supposed to use it to plan your meals before you consume them, but I've been using it, instead, to track everything I put in my mouth. I've never kept a food diary before, or even attempted to count calories, but that was before my belly started protruding a bit more than I would like it to.

So, I've been using this handy dandy little tracker to learn exactly how much of my daily caloric needs are satisfied by my post-workout snack: a whole wheat bagel, smothered in whipped cream cheese and an orange. Ahh, pure heaven. Especially when I can sit in front of a space heater (or on the back porch) while reading anything by Elizabeth Berg or (my latest good read, a gift from my momma) Small Wonder by Barbara Kingsolver -- more on this book in another post, I hope.

This website allows you to plug in your height, weight, and daily activity levels, and it estimates how many calories you need each day. My calorie intake should be around 2400. It also estimates how many of your calories should be from fat, sugar, etc. And it tells you how many ounces or cups of each of the food groups you should consume: grains, veggies, fruits, dairy, and meats/beans.

Here's what I've learned:

1. I tend to go over my 2400 calorie limit.
2. Too many of my calories come from sugar and fats (even when I'm trying to eat healthy!).
3. I usually eat too many grains and too much fruit and meat/beans -- but I think that's just because I made meatloaf this week.
4. I usually don't get quite enough veggies and dairy, but I'm really close.

When I put on five pounds last month (at least that's when I noticed it), I assumed it was because I'd started this new weight-lifting program at my gym. Now ... I'm not so sure. Perhaps all that sugar, fat, and extra calories are finally starting to catch up with me. So this is what it's like when your metabolism slows down ... Sheist.

I don't plan on using this tracker every day, but I think it's a good wake up call for me, and it goes along pretty well with my Lenten goals of being more mindful about my food intake.

Pass the meatloaf, please.

3 comments:

Honor Louise said...

Katie, I cannot believe you consume more than 2400 calories a day. But if you do, maybe your activity level warrants it. Each body is unique. Remember that. I am a bread lover. I have to restrict my bread intake. I also eat a lot of fruit and a whole lot of dairy. Beans and grains are also a mainstay. I hope to train myself to eat more lettuce salads. Why don't I eat a simple toss salad more often? I do not like the feel of lettuce whan I am cleaning it. It creeps me out!
It is cool that you are becoming more informed about your diet. What we eat is the result of a decision. Decisions become habits. Meatloaf was an all time favorite before I became a vegetarian. Being mindful is the soul of any spiritural quest. Pass the greek yogurt, please.

Katie Cramer said...

Thanks for your encouragement, Honor. :) I didn't know you felt that way about lettuce. Very interesting.

I appreciate your philosophy that "what we eat is a result of a decision" and that "decisions become habits." Very true.

What's Greek yogurt?

Honor Louise said...

Greek yogurt is very thick. It does not have gelatin and other additives in it. It is made in a more traditional way than other commercial yogurt. Greek yogurt is very filling. The kind I have tasted is not very sweet.