The previous post suggested a using low-fat mayo in a recipe for FISH! (YUM!--I love fish) If you make your own mayo, (I do only because I LOVE it and I have so many eggs.) here is a recipe for low-fat pseudo mayo! I have become addicted to the word pseudo. I tried it a couple of times but alas...I must have the eggs. I always thought making my own would be time consuming and wouldn't taste like I thought it should. I was wrong! I now make it almost everyday. Usually just one egg yolk, a bit of lemon juice and oil. I've decided that it can be part of my exercise routine, I'll be sure to use the wire whisk instead of the stick blender! I hope you all have a fabulous day! Here is that recipe:
Ingredients:
- 2 cups cold water
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 2 tsp yellow mustard
- 1 tsp horseradish
Whisk together water and cornstarch in a small saucepan. Stir continuously over a medium heat until the mixture comes to a boil.
Continue stirring and boiling for 1-2 minutes or until the mixture is clear.
Pour mixture into a bowl and whisk the remaining ingredients, in order listed. Whisk.
Refrigerate in a tightly sealed container. Should keep about 2 weeks.
To spice up your tuna fish, mix in a smidgy of ketchup or red pepper sauce. For a sweeter "Miracle Whip"-like mixture, add in a tsp or two of sugar.
3 comments:
You are a cooking rock star, Dawn. Where do you find the time? Do you sleep?
OH PLEASE! I don't cook anything that takes a lot of time. Ok, I lied...bread takes some time but not all at once...get the dough together-->let it rise-->punch it down-->let it rise-->punch it down-->let it rise-->Put it in the pan and cook! Mayo takes about as much time as toast, at least in the little batches that I make it. Besides what else do I have to do? (Other than following my goats around looking at their hind end for signs of new kids!)
I want to try this recipe. I have to buy horseradish first. This really sounds healthy and delicious. Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment