Saturday, March 7, 2009

Gut check

Okay, so it seems that almost no one is reading this blog (including me), so I'm going to recruit some new members in the next few days ... Beth? Melissa? Marcy? Dawn? Laura? Margaret? Sharon? Carol? Anyone?

How is everyone doing? Spring is here, and I'm hoping to take advantage of the nice weather by going for some walks, runs, and bike rides outdoors. My dad gave Trent his old mountain bike, so now he'll be able to join me on the Silver Comet Trail, when his work schedule permits.

I've already decided that I want to compete in the Acworth Women's Sprint Triathlon again in August, and since those races are kind of expensive, it's probably the only one I'll sign up for. But that's okay with me because I actually enjoy the process of training for races as much as actually competing in them. Plus, there's that sense of pride (here comes the ego) of being able to say, "I'm training for a [fill in the blank]." Even if you're training to walk a 5K, it just feels good to say, and if feels good to get out and do it.

Here's what I'm trying to do for Lent (even though, technically, I'm no longer Catholic) ... I'm trying to do a better job of not embracing gluttony everytime I sit down to read or catch up on my TV shows online. I have a nasty habit of eating just for the sake of eating while I watch TV/movies or read books. I'm usually not even hungry. It's a little ridiculous.

So, I'm trying to pay more attention to what my body is telling me, rather than just feeding my face. I'm calling it my little gut check (literally and figuratively) to determine if I actually need to consume more food, or if I'm just bored.

So, fellow bloggers--what's going on for you in the realm of health and fitness? What goals are you setting for yourself? What successes have you had?

Oh, and can anyone recommend a book or online site with easy, nutritious recipes?

3 comments:

Honor Louise said...

Thanks for inviting me back to Tough and Buff. I enjoyed reading your post. And Dawn's. Nibbling between meals is everyone's challenge and there is no easy solution to that problem. Just try to eat healthy snacks. You have a very active life style. That helps keep you fit. I am excited and proud of you for deciding to compete again in the triathalon. WHAT A WOMAN!

Katie Cramer said...

That's good advice, Honor. Healthy snacks. I'm working on it. :) Glad to see you back on here!!!

Christine said...

Hi there!
I am with you on signing up for another tri. I signed up for the ING half marathon and didn't train for it beyond walking/ really slow jogging. I like the flexibility of the tris. I need a better bike, though...that may have to wait for a job:>)
I hope all is well. I can't wait to try the recipes!